Don’t say “ewwww bugs!” every time you see an insect. Instead, keep your eyes peeled like a real nature detective and make friends with the creepy crawlies.
Where to Look:
Start your search by looking around flowers, bushes or at the base of trees. Turning over small or medium sized rocks, you will usually be able to find some bugs. Explore your own backyard and your bug scavanger hunt is bound to lead to adventures and imaginative play!
What You Need:
- Magnifying glass
- A hunting ground: A backyard, garden, or local park
- Notebook and pens for keeping track of what you find and where
- A field guide to bugs and/or a smartphone (optional)
- Remember that you’re a giant compared to a tiny bug, so be gentle with any that you choose to pick up – they’ll be more scared of you than you’ll ever be of them!
- Make sure you choose something to hold that’s relatively small and that’s not going to sting or bite you – so no wasps, bees or snakes.
There are over 20,000 types of insect in the UK, so who knows what you’ll discover?
Don’t forget to share your stories on our socials using #52things
We’d love to know about your adventures. What were your best bits? Have you learnt some new skills you can’t wait to tell us about?
Keep checking back on this blog for even more essential things every adventurer should experience before their 16th Birthday!